The Tarsal Bone Test: A Basic Test of Health Sciences Students' Knowledge of Lower Limb Anatomy
|Author||Castillo López, José Manuel
Díaz Mancha, Juan Antonio
Heredia Rizo, Alberto Marcos
Fernández Seguín, Lourdes María
Polo Padillo, Juan
Domínguez Maldonado, Gabriel
Munuera Martínez, Pedro Vicente
|Department||Universidad de Sevilla. Departamento de Podología
Universidad de Sevilla. Departamento de Fisioterapia
Universidad de Sevilla. Departamento de Medicina Preventiva y Salud Pública
|Abstract||Objectives. The aim of the present study was to design an easy-to-use tool, the tarsal bone test (TBT), to provide a snapshot of podiatry students’ basic anatomical knowledge of the bones of the lower limb. Methods. The ...
Objectives. The aim of the present study was to design an easy-to-use tool, the tarsal bone test (TBT), to provide a snapshot of podiatry students’ basic anatomical knowledge of the bones of the lower limb. Methods. The study included 254 podiatry students from three different universities, 145 of them were first-year students and 109 were in their fourth and final years. The TBT was administered without prior notice to the participants and was to be completed in 5 minutes. Results. The results show that 97.2% of the subjects (n = 247) correctly labelled all tarsal bones, while the other 2.8% (n =7) incorrectly labelled at least one bone, that was either the cuboid (7 times) or the navicular (6 times). Although only one fourth-year student inaccurately identified one bone, no significant differences in the distribution of the correct and incorrect responses were found between first and fourth-year students. Conclusions. The TBT seems to be a straightforward and easy-to-apply instrument, and provides an objective view of the level of knowledge acquired at different stages of podiatry studies.
|Citation||Castillo López, J.M., Díaz Mancha, J.A., Heredia Rizo, A.M., Fernández Seguín, L.M., Polo Padillo, J., Domínguez Maldonado, G. y Munuera Martínez, P.V. (2014). The Tarsal Bone Test: A Basic Test of Health Sciences Students' Knowledge of Lower Limb Anatomy. BioMed Research International, 1-6.|